DigitalScrapbookBlog

Monday, September 21, 2009

Overlays are everywhere! + freebie papers

I'm trying to use more overlays in my kits to create more variety/texture than using the regular canvas filters found in PS. Overlays are pretty simple to create. I generally find textures I like and do a full photo of that area. It doesn't matter if your texture is varied or consistent. I've done stones, tree bark, cracked pavement...the options are endless. Today's free kit started out as a picture of laminate wood flooring in black and white. From there I reduced the opacity to 20% set to normal and duplicated the layer. On the second identical layer I rotated the image by 90 degrees. This created a nice texture for a paper pack. It will take some experimentation for the layer style setting and the opacity. Using the same settings usually won't work for every colour chosen but minor adjustments are usually simple. I'm liking the final result, and I hope you do too!